Saturday, November 05, 2005

Quest for a vision: Part I

When I study in the library, I see other people, from other disciplines, each studying something: philosophy, psychology, sociology, economy, etc. All these subjects are tangible in our everyday life. Their understanding involves living creatures. But when I bring out my textbook, it's titled: "Microelectronic Circuits".

I have always been certain that I want to study Electrical Engineering. However, I have lost my certainty recently. There is a sense of absurdity associated with everything I see. It has occurred to me that my field is actually very useless, because you're just isolating yourself in an abstract world of "man-made things"(quote from a friend ;)). We are living in a world of circuits, math, and artificial goods. It’s not that I hate studying ECE, it’s just that I’m not thrilled by it anymore. I'm not satisfied with designing an electrical system! It feels like I am separated from the world.

P.S. Started reading memoirs of a geisha! I like it so far, and am also looking forward to reading the other books :D

3 comments:

Siavash said...

what about Biomed ;). We are actually organizing some Grad talks in IEEE, Bio-medical research included. It's gonna happen in the last week of November. funny thing, that we grouped electronics and bio-med together, well maybe not that funny, since they seem to be very interconnected.

Arezou said...

I am thinking a lot about biomed these days, and one of its main reasons is what I have described in this post. It seems to me that it has more meaning for the life. Through biomed I might be more connected to the life, you know? But it is still to be argued whether I'm right or not, because communications, for example, can have an impact on our life as great as that of a biomedical advance, right? I donno! I'm so confused :S
For now, I'm trying to study probability, and man, it's sooooo boring! Whatever I study is boring!

Thanx for the info about the grad talk :D I'll be attending it, in search for some inspiration :D
Who are you inviting to talk about the biomed area?

Anonymous said...

Well, I understand what you are saying. But sometimes I think to myself, maybe what you like and what you actually end up with as your career can be two totally separate things. I think that as long as there is something you know you are good at, you should stick to it and not change fields.
For example, I myself like philosophy and social sciences a lot. But I know that I might not be good at them as much as I am good at, say, math. In addition, I know that I can pursue them further in my free time, read a lot of books, and expand my knowledge in those subjects as much as I can. But something like electrical engineering you can not pursue on your free time, you need to be trained in this sort of field.
I am not at all saying that studying philosophy or social sciences is wrong, I am saying that as long as they are not your #1 passion and as long as there is some other subject that you are good at, there’s no need to study the subjects that you know you can pursue by yourself.
btw I’m happy you are reading memoirs of a geisha :)